Excellence in Teaching Award
Excellence in Teaching Award (ETA)
The Center for Teaching and Learning administers the Excellence in Teaching Award, sponsored by the Graduate School. This award recognizes teaching assistants who contribute to teaching at UGA beyond their own assigned classroom responsibilities. For previous winners and further information about teaching assistant recognition at UGA, please visit the CTL Teaching Assistant Recognition page.
Nominations for the 2018-2019 Excellence in Teaching Award will open in December. Departments may nominate one eligible TA or LA who has received or is being concurrently nominated for the OTA. Only candidates who have demonstrated superior teaching skills and who have contributed to teaching beyond their own classroom responsibilities should be nominated.
ETA NOMINATION CRITERIA
- Departments may nominate only one student for the Excellence in Teaching Award.
- The student must have previously received or currently be nominated for the Outstanding TA Award.
- The student must have met all TA Policy requirements for training and language screening and demonstrated superior teaching skills while serving as an instructor of the classroom or laboratory.
- The student must have contributed to teaching at UGA beyond their own assigned classroom responsibilities
- Examples: developed/presented a SoTL project, acted as a lead TA, mentor, preceptor, or by creating teaching materials for other TAs to use.
- The student must have had significant teaching responsibilities for at least two terms at UGA. One of these terms must have occurred during the last sixteen months prior to deadline.
- The nomination must be submitted by the announced deadline using the appropriate nomination forms.
- This nomination form requires endorsement by the department's Graduate Coordinator.
- Previous recipients of the award are not eligible.
- Student must be currently registered full time at the time of nomination and time of award.
ETA NOMINATION PROCESS
I. The Graduate Coordinator must nominate the graduate student using the Qualtrics Application.
- The Qualtrics Application includes nominee information, confirmation of eligibility, and acknowledgment of the nomination by the Graduate Coordinator.
- The Qualtrics Application must be submitted by the Graduate Coordinator. Nominees are responsible for completing and submitting all other nomination materials.
II. The nominated student is responsible for submitting the following nomination package materials, as a single, PDF package, by the deadline to firstname.lastname@example.org:
1. A cover page with name, department/program, degree, and contact information.
2. Table of contents with page numbers for each item of application.
3. A letter of nomination from a faculty member in the nominee's department, familiar with the nominee's teaching, that describes the contributions the nominee made to the department, University, or the discipline in terms of teaching beyond classroom/laboratory duties.
4. Nominee ETA Statement
- The ETA statement is a one-page statement by the nominee describing how they meet the award criteria.
- It should document how the nominee has contributed to teaching at UGA beyond their own assigned classroom responsibilities.
- The cover page, table of contents, nomination letter, and nominee's ETA statement do not count in the twelve page limit for the teaching portfolio.
5. Teaching Portfolio
- The Teaching Portfolios should be no longer than twelve pages.
- The portfolio should be professionally presented (sample teaching portfolios).
- Each portfolio must include, as a minimum, each of the following items:
I. A one-page teaching philosophy statement
II. Description of courses taught
III. Evaluation of teaching (from students, peers, faculty)
IV. Sample teaching materials
V. Sample of student work
VI. Innovative teaching projects and roles
VII. List of professional activities related to teaching at UGA
VIII. List of special training or teaching related experiences
Please read directions carefully: The Qualtrics Application should be completed by the Office of the Graduate Coordinator. All fields must be filled out in order for the candidate to be considered. It is the responsibility of the nominee to submit ALL other material to the CTL via the email@example.com prior to the deadline.
The deadline for the 2018-2019 Excellence in Teaching Award is January 25, 2019 at 5:00 pm.