Kaltura Media Storage and Streaming
Kaltura is a media storage and streaming solution. Kaltura replaces the USG Podcasting service, which was decommissioned on June 30, 2015. Kaltura can be used for course-related content in eLC (see below), or for non course-related content outside eLC via kaltura.uga.edu. Units that are interested in using Kaltura for non course-related content should complete this Kaltura support request form to obtain access to Kaltura.
Resources for Faculty
You can now upload video to Kaltura using eLC. There are several options available:
Adding Kaltura CaptureSpace to Your eLC Course: If you need add captions to a video, edit video, or upload a video before it’s available to students, you will need to add the Kaltura Course Gallery to your course. The Kaltura Course Gallery displays all videos that have been uploaded to Kaltura via your eLC course. You have two options for adding the Course Gallery to your eLC course. Both of these options allow you to add captions to your uploaded videos.
- Adding the Kaltura Course Gallery to Your Course Navigation – This makes the Course Gallery visible to you and your students. Any video that you upload and publish in the Course Gallery will be visible to students if they click the Course Gallery link. They also have the option to upload video. You have the ability to approve or reject videos uploaded by students. (Any student uploads that you approve in the Course Gallery will be visible to anyone enrolled in the course.)
- Adding the Kaltura Course Gallery Widget to Your Course – This option makes the Course Gallery visible to only the instructor (and teaching assistant, if you choose). Students will not see any videos that you upload here unless you use the Insert Stuff button to add a video to a Content page.
Adding Video Using Insert Stuff in eLC: This is a good option if you have existing video that you'd like to add to your course for students to view.
You can also create your own Kaltura CaptureSpace recording. Kaltura CaptureSpace can be used to record your screen, webcam, or a classroom discussion.
Resources for Students
Resources for Captioning Your Kaltura Videos
- Requesting Machine Captions in Kaltura - This tutorial will show you how to request machine captioning for a video in Kaltura.
- Editing Machine Captions in Kaltura - This tutorial will show you how to edit machine generated captions in Kaltura.
- Adding a Caption File to a Video in Kaltura - This tutorial will show you how to upload an existing caption file to a video in Kaltura.