Announcement of Sarah Moss Fellowship 2014 -2015
Deadline for applications is 5:00pm - March 28, 2014
(Letters of recommendation for the application can be emailed to CTL Director Dr. Eddie Watson at firstname.lastname@example.org)
Sarah Moss Fellowships for faculty of the University of Georgia in Athens are available beginning with the summer semester. These fellowships are for advanced study in institutions of learning of high standing abroad and in the United States. The fellowships, administered by CTL since 1987, provide funds for travel and related expenses for faculty pursuing advanced study in institutions of higher learning abroad and in the United States. Expenses of family members accompanying married faculty are also covered. The purpose of these fellowships, funded through a bequest from the estate of Sarah H. Moss, is to provide young University of Georgia faculty a "broad outlook and acquaintance with conditions and standards in other parts of the world. . . ." Funding is available in amounts of up to $10,000 and may include subsistence for family members. The award may be made twice. Additional support funds from the nominee's department are desirable. For further information, please contact Dr. Eddie Watson, email@example.com.
Requirements for Applicants
- Applicants should be tenure-track faculty at The University of Georgia in Athens.
- Applicants should show promise of unusual accomplishment in study at universities other than in Southern states including and contiguous to Georgia.
- Approval is required of one's department head and dean if a leave of absence during the academic year is requested.
- Recipients must agree to return to The University of Georgia for one year after receiving a scholarship or re-pay the amount of the award.
Procedure for Application
Applications are available in the Center for Teaching and Learning, Instructional Plaza-North. Seven complete copies of all application materials are due in CTL by March 28, 2014. Applicants are encouraged to consult with respective department heads and senior faculty members in preparing proposals to be submitted to the Moss Committee. The Committee reviewing applications for Sarah H. Moss Fellowships encourages candidates to apply for other fellowships before or at the same time they are applying for Sarah H. Moss Fellowships. (e.g., NATO, NIH Senior, and Guggenheim). All applicants are reviewed by the Sarah H. Moss Fellowship Committee.
Method of Selection
Applicants are reviewed in the spring of each year by a committee composed of the following: the Dean of the College of Education, the Dean of the Graduate School, the Dean of the School of Law, the Dean of the College of Business Administration, the Dean of the College of Arts and Sciences, a representative of the Office of the Vice President for Academic Affairs, and the President of the UGA Chapter of Phi Beta Kappa. In all phases of the selection process, the applicants will be judged on the basis of stated criteria.
Criteria for Selection
Applications will be evaluated using the following criteria:
- Qualifications of the faculty members as a scholar and teacher,
- Contributions of the faculty member to The University of Georgia,
- Quality and potential impact of the proposal, level of need and of support from department and college, and
- Overall potential as a faculty member at The University of Georgia.
Preference will be given to faculty in early stages of their careers.
Announcement of the Awards
Recipients of Sarah H. Moss Fellowships will be notified in writing.