Creating Private Discussion Topics for Individual Students in eLC
In eLC, you can create private discussion topics for individual students so only you and the student have access to their posts. This is one way to have students keep a private journal or blog for a course.
To create the private discussion topics, we will first create a set of one-member groups (one for each student in the class).
1. Go to Tools and click Groups.
2. Click "New Category."
3. Choose the following settings:
- Category Name: Journal Assignment (or the name of your assignment)
- Enrollment Type: Single-user, member specific groups
Check "Set up discussion areas"
4. Click Save. The next screen will ask you to set up the Discussion areas. You can click New Forum to create a separate forum for all of the Journal topics. This will help you stay organized!
5. Click Create and Next. Now the discussion topics have been created.
6. To see the discussion topics, go to Tools and click Discussions. You'll see the forum you created and new discussion topics. The title of each topic is the category name with the student's name. Students can only see their own discussion topic.
- As more students add your course, new groups and private discussion topics will be added automatically.
- If a student drops your course, the student will be removed from the course and the group, but the group and discussion topic will not be deleted. If the student re-adds the course, s/he will be added back to the appropriate group and topic.
- To delete extra groups and discussion topics that are left if students drop your course, go to Tools/Groups, check the empty groups, and click Delete at the top of the page. This will also delete the associated private discussion topics. If you teach large classes, you may want to wait until after the drop/add period to create the private groups.