Creating an Award
This tutorial will show you how to create awards that you can grant to students in your eLC course. You can create awards that can be shared with other users in other courses or restricted to your course. If you restrict the award, it can only be added to the course offering in which you create the award.
1. Go to your course. Click Course Admin and from the Assessments area, select Awards.
2. Click Course Awards and click Add Award to Course.
3. Click Create Award.
4. Choose settings for your award.
- Enter a name and description for the new award.
- Select an award type from the drop-down list. (A badge is a digital icon that students can display on their eLC profiles. A certificate is like a badge, but also gives students a PDF they can print.)
- Select the appropriate check boxes to indicate if you want the award to be available to other instructors.
7. Select the expiration options for your award.
- If the award will not expire, select Never. Example: certificates of merit for passing a course, or badges for perfect attendance.
- If the award will expire on a specific date, select Fixed date. Examples: certifications for a skill that must be renewed, such as first aid training.
- If the award will expire on a day relative to the day the award was granted, select Relative Day of the Month. Examples of awards that expire on a relative date are badges for Student of the Week.
- If you want to notify the award recipient before an award expires, select the check box and indicate the number of days of lead time, if necessary.
8. In the Choose Award Image area, you can choose the icon that represents your badge. You can upload your own icon, or use one of the badges in the Library. If you want to create your own award image, click Create your own award image. OpenBadges is a free website that allows you to create custom icons.
9. If you are creating a new certificate, in the Choose Certificate Template area, do one of the following:
- If the PDF template already exists in the image library, click From Existing Library.
- If you want to add a new template to the image library, click Upload New Template.
10. Enter your name and email address under the Issuer Information.
11. Ensure that the Use this award to the <current course> on creation check box is correctly set.
12. Click Save. Now you can manually grant your award to students or add release conditions to automatically grant awards.