2016 Focus - SCALE-UP
Co-funded by the Office of the Vice President for Instruction and the Center for Teaching and Learning, the 2016 cohort of the CTL Fellows for Innovative Teaching will focus on teaching using SCALE-UP methodologies and practices. The activities for this program will begin on Reading Day in December 2015 and conclude in December 2016.
The goals of the 2016 CTL Fellows for Innovative Teaching included the following:
- To provide faculty who will be teaching in the Science Learning Center's SCALE-UP classrooms with development, support, and collaboration to institute robust pedagogical approaches in this new learning space setting;
- To provide faculty with opportunities for the sharing of ideas with other dedicated, highly-motivated, and innovative teachers from science-related disciplines who have similar interests and who face similar teaching challenges;
- To provide funding ($2,000) to support SCALE-UP instructional innovation designed to strengthen courses and teaching methods;
- To further integrate what research tells us about how people learn into key courses at the University; and
- To reinforce an instructional environment that honors and recognizes dedicated teaching scholars and promotes a learning-community spirit on a large campus.
The 2016 CTL Fellows for Innovative Teaching program will include the following activities and events
- A half-day kick-off event on Reading Day -- December 9, 2015 (8:30 a.m. to noon) -- in the Botanical Gardens Callaway Building.
- Spring semester activities will consist of monthly cohort meetings. The dates for those meetings are as follows:
- Tuesday, January 26th (4:45 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.) - Location - CTL North Instructional Plaza
- Thursday, February 25th (4:45 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.) - Location - CTL North Instructional Plaza
- Wednesday, March 16th (5:30 p.m. - 7:30 p.m) - Reception and dinner discussion with Bob Beichner - Georgia Center (Oak Room)
- Thursday, April 21st (4:45 p.m. - 6:30 p.m.) - Location - CTL North Instructional Plaza
- Four half day intensive course design Maymester sessions (May 17 - 20, 8:30 a.m. to noon each day).
- Fall semester activities will include monthly cohort meetings and peer observations of teaching.
- In December 2016, each participant will provide a brief presentation regarding their fall semester SCALE-UP experience.
2016 CTL Fellows for Innovative Teaching
Jon Amster, Chemistry
Brad Barnes, Computer Science
Mary Bedell, Genetics
Peggy Brickman, Plant Biology
Shu-Mei Chang, Plant Biology
Gary Douberly, Chemistry
Shelby Funk, Computer Science
Paula Lemons, Biochemistry & Molecular Biology
David Nelson, Genetics
Chris Peterson, Plant Biology
Tina T. Salguero, Chemistry
Phillip Stancil, Physics and Astronomy